Tuesday, March 1, 2011

PIA Apple Pie




To be honest I've never heard of PIA apple-pie before. Me and my friends came to PIA’s outlet in a chill afternoon only because we needed a place to have hot drinks after got soaked at The Jungle, and one of our friends had come here and recommend this place to us. I was thinking, "Having a slice of apple-pie fresh from the oven seems okay right now…" But I did not think this place is one of people’s favorite spot for hangout in Bogor.

Looking into the menu, the pie options are quite diverse. In addition to the apple pie of course, there were some other pies that I remember included in the menu such as the black coffee pie, cheese pie, and blueberry cheese pie. I ordered apple pie and blueberry cheese pie, which seemed to be the most expensive compared to the other pies.

It did not take long for me to find out what has attracted many visitors to PIA. Just after a mouthful, I can say here that PIA’s is one of the best apple pies I’ve tasted. It taste good, really, and in my case, addictive.

PIA apple pie has this gorgeous, golden surface. The crust has a dry texture and crumbly. In the mouth, with only two to three times of chewing, the crust will instantly melt on the tongue. It feels right for me (I hate chewing food).

Something which distinguishes PIA’s to those of typical apple pie is the filling. When I heard of apple pie, I immediately think of small cuts of apple that still feel crunchy when chewed, as the filling. Meanwhile, PIA makes the filling from small cuts of apple that has been processed so that it becomes very soft almost like apple jam. Smooth, and sweet and sour all together, it simply pleases my palate. And at that time, I did not mind to eat up to two pieces and had a bit of difficulty to resist the urge to get one more slice.

PIA apple pie is fairly cheap. The size, such as the one that I bought, which can be cut into 6 slices for 6 people - is only Rp 37,000, while the very big is at Rp 80,000.

In addition to apple pie, I also tasted a blueberry cheese pie at PIA. I did not expect much in terms of taste at first. I ordered it for its diamond shape. It’s pretty. At first bite, it felt like eating a cheese cookie with blueberry jam on top. The crust is cheesy for sure and the blueberry, from how it looks and taste, almost as if it’s taken directly from a jar. I did not ask them about this of course. And the pie is super thin (only 1 centimeter thick!). But in terms of flavor, this pie is okay, although the price is a little too expensive for the ‘adventure for the palate’ that it’s offered. That is Rp 32,000 to half the size of apple pie that I purchased.

PIA pie shop and café is at Pangrango 10, Bogor, T: +62-251 832 4169.

No comments:

Post a Comment